Advanced Search
Edward Anthony
Image Not Available

Edward Anthony

American, 1818 - 1888

In 1840, Anthony, a civil engineer, learned the daguerreotype process from Samuel F.B. Morse (1791-1872). In 1841, he took part in a daguerreotype survey of the Canada-United States border in the east. From 1842 to 1843, he operated a daguerreotype studio in Washington D.C. with Jonas M. Edwards and Howard Chilton called "Anthony, Edwards & Chilton". From 1844 to 1845, the studio was called "Anthony, Edwards & Co." In 1846-1847, Anthony established a partnership with J.R. Clark in New York City, named "Anthony, Clark & Co.". In 1847, Anthony sold his photographic studio and gave up professional photography to start a daguerreotype supply business. He also began collaborating with his brother Henry T. In 1852, Edward and his brother established the photographic supply firm E. & H.T. Anthony on Broadway in New York City. From 1861 to 1865, the Anthonys gave financial backing to photographers Mathew B. Brady and C. Roche for Civil War coverage. They then published and distributed the images under Brady's name. In 1888, Edward introduced celluloid film to the United States.