Advanced Search
Censer

Censer

Date: Early 16th Century
Medium: Gilded copper
Dimensions:
12 x 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 in. (30.5 x 11.4 x 11.4 cm)
Credit Line: Bequest of John Ringling, 1936
Object number: SN7077
On View: Not on view
About this ObjectThe proper name for a censer in the Western Church is a thurible, from the Latin thuribulum and the Greek thyos, meaning incense. In its design, the censer allows both for controlled burning and the escape of scented smoke. This finely wrought pierced bronze-gilt footed sphere (SN7075) was probably meant to be used and displayed on an altar. The upper portion is crested with the cast figure of a Roman soldier clad in armor, and opens with a five-part hinge to a cup-lined lower portion. The sphere is cut and pierced with elegant scrollwork, and a band of pseudo cabochon jewels, and raised on an engraved base. This censer, which takes the form of a Gothic church (SN7077), has a cover in the form of two rows of pierced Gothic windows alternating with flying buttresses, which rise to a steepled roof.
Provenance
Emile Gavet, Paris (cat. #621, ill.), approximately 1870s-1880s; sold to Mr. and Mrs. William K. and Alva Erskine Smith Vanderbilt, Gothic Room, Marble House, Newport, Rhode Island, 1889-1982; transfered to Mrs. Alva Erskine Smith Vanderbilt Belmont in divorce; purchased by John Ringling, 1928; bequest to The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, 1936
This record is a work in progress. If you have additional information or have spotted an error, please send feedback to collections@ringling.org